The Tyndale Center is named after William Tyndale (c. 1494-1536), the English reformer who devoted his life to translating the Scriptures into the language of the common Englishman.
Tyndale translated the New Testament and significant portions of the Old Testament into English from the original Greek and Hebrew, a first in the history of English Bible translation. Tyndale’s translations were widely distributed in England, giving vital fuel to the burgeoning English Reformation.
William Tyndale was, however, much more than a Bible scholar. He was a pastor, evangelist, and churchman, and he viewed his translation work as part of his broader calling to make the truth of the Scriptures known to the English so that they might come to know and worship Christ.